Telekom Teledat 302 / Siemens Speedstream 4100

Getting the Hardware
In 2006 a friend agreed to swap her Teledat 302 for a Fritz!Box Modem/Router; at that time I wasn't aware that this so-called modem had anything more to it than being smaller than the old T-DSL (Siemens) NTBBA I owned. Of course, it also had a power switch which was nice to have. For many months, it simply sat in front of my SMC7004VBR Barricade router as a replacement for the old modem, serving the ADSL 2000 line.

First Firmware Update
It was only in late 2007 when I learned from this post that there was a firmware update available which would enable the Teledat 302 to also run on ADSL2+ connections. At the same time one of my customers experienced login problems with his new DSL 16'000 line. So my idea was, why not get this update and try the Teledat 302 instead.

At first I was hesitant as the update file (v004-D240-B22) was only available from RapidShare and looked a bit obscure. In early 2008 I finally decided to give it a go. It took five attempts until I got the message "update succeeded", a fact which only tended to confirm my prior reservation.

Web Interface
With the help of the updater I was then able to get to the Web Interface GUI; looking at the setup options it dawned on me that this wasn't a mere modem, but a fully-fledged router... (a fact which I later confirmed by further reading).

Telnet Access
To have lasting access to the Web Interface one had to modify the Configuration via Telnet. For that one needed to know the modem's actual IP address and the login details of an admin user; the IP address was used to add a static ARP entry for this local TCP/IP node, by typing e.g. > arp -s 00-10-D2-32-C9-41 at the command prompt (the MAC address came disguised as some kind of serial number printed on the unit's bottom label; I had to dig six doublets from the right).
Some of the parameters used with the cfg command are explained here. The idea is to gain full Telnet, FTP and HTTP access as well as getting the modem out of bridge mode. Some further examples on how to use the Configuration CLI are found here and here. A complete CLI command reference can be downloaded from here as a PDF file.

FTP Access
Connecting via FTP enabled me to save and later restore the router configuration; as far as I remember, there are only these four files x.cgf, x.def, x.img, x.boot.img one needs to get or put.

Compatibility Issues
First thing I noticed after the update was that the LED indication for LAN and T-DSL (Sync) had switched, and the LAN LED didn't report activity anymore. Reading in the forums I gathered that the firmware update I had used has actually been aimed at the Siemens Speedstream 4100. This box sports five LEDs compared to the four I got here. Nosy as I am, I cautiously opened up my Teledat 302, looked at the printed board only to find an empty spot to support a fifth LED. And indeed, the LAN and Sync LEDs are in the same spot on the Siemens box as on my updated Teledat.

Second Firmware Update
Meanwhile discussion in the forums gained momentum as somebody found another (newer) update for the Speedstream 4100 on a Netherlands site. This one (v004-D240-B25) came courtesy Tiscali and had a GUI in English (which suited me). It needs to mention that when in bridge mode, the Teledat now showed only three lights, i.e. Pwr, LAN and Sync.

Configuring as a Router
With full access to the GUI, I went forward to configure the Teledat as a router. I defined this VC (Virtual Circuit):
PPPoE – Client only (as WAN default); this holds the provider's login information and in my case needed to be set to VPI/VCI = 1/32 (LLC); I also chose AutoReconnect and a MTU setting of 1492.
With the gateway set-up like that I connected successfully to German Arcor DSL on Mon, 2008-03-10 with a PC which got its IP address from the router's DHCP server.
When the box is set-up as a router, and online, there are four lights again (the fourth being the Online indicator).

Firewall Settings
With the Firewall Level set to High there was no EMail download (port 110) nor FTP access (port 21) possible, so I switched to Medium.

Monitoring the Line
There's a very nice (and free) piece of software called DMT (short for DSL-Modem Tool) available from Andreas Matthöfer; the DMT v9.01 (Win2k/XP) is able to monitor the Teledat 302 / Siemens Speedstream 4100 respectively. This was tried with positive result on the same evening.

I'm endebted to handle doraemon of the OK forum who was friendly enough to guide me through part of this process.



[an error occurred while processing this directive]